March is National Nutrition Month
National Nutrition Month® is an annual campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This year’s theme, Personalize your Plate, focuses on nutritious meals to meet a person’s individual and cultural needs. Each week encourages a different message with goals to help you achieve healthful eating habits. How many ways you can accomplish each goal?
Week One Goal (March 1-March 7): Eat a variety of nutritious foods every day.
- Include healthful foods from all food groups. Don’t forget your fruits, veggies, whole grains, protein and dairy!
- Hydrate healthfully. Remember, water is best!
- Learn how to read the Nutrition Facts Panel. The US Food and Drug Administration has great resources.
- Avoid distractions while eating. Unplug at the the table!
- Enjoy your food. How many senses can you tap into while eating?
Week Two Goal (March 8-March 14): Plan your meals each week.
- Use a grocery list to shop for healthful foods. Shop with a plan and stick to it.
- Be menu-savvy when dining out. Look up menus online and commit to a nutritious meal.
- Choose healthful recipes to make during the week. Put a spin on your favorites, or try some new dishes.
- Enjoy healthful eating at school and work. Think through your selection in the cafeteria.
- Plan healthful eating while traveling. Pack a road trip cooler!
Week Three Goal (March 15-March 21): Learn skills to create tasty meals.
- Keep healthful ingredients on hand. Nuts, nut butters, tuna, canned vegetables and beans are great pantry staples.
- Practice proper home food safety. Always wash your hands before cooking and in between tasks, and sanitize your surface area when you finish. Refer to the United States Department of Agriculture for more.
- Share meals together as a family when possible. Meals are meant to be enjoyed together.
- Reduce food waste. Re-imagine your leftovers. Toss left over meats and veggies on a salad or cook in a quesadilla.
- Try new flavors and foods. Explore flavors from international cuisine.
Week Four (March 22-March 28): Consult a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN).
- Ask your doctor for a referral to see an RDN. Or call us, no referral necessary!
- Receive personalized nutrition advice to meet your goals. At CNC, we tailor our guidance to meet your individual needs.
- Meet RDNs in a variety of settings throughout the community. Did you know grocery stores, corporate campuses and hotel chains hire dietitians? There’s RDN influence in pretty much every industry!
- Find an RDN who is specialized to meet your unique needs. We serve clients with a variety of health concerns!
- Thrive through the transformative power of food and nutrition. (This one speaks for itself!)